Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Stay at Home Mom Chronicles :: 9 is Fine


My days around here seem to run together.
Ordinary moments unfold around me daily
and I need to stop and relish in them.

One day, my boys will be out living life
and I will miss these everyday experiences.

So, I am taking the time to document
the simple moments that pass between us.
I'm calling this little collection of memories...

Photobucket

9 is fine.


It's a privilege to be "the banker"
 when playing a board game.
You have to be a trusted player.
You can't sneak some money for yourself when no one is looking.
You have to really know your addition and subtraction.
So, Roger and I have held the esteemed spot of banker
whenever we've played a game together as a family.

Until last night.
Griffin was ready, I could tell.
So we entrusted our rainbow of cash to him
while we played out favorite game
The Inventors,
(which I scored at the flea market for 5 bucks)

Griffin was thrilled and he did a great job.
He had such pride in handing out the money.

I am truly enjoying Griffin as a 9-year-old.
 This summer, I've been asking him
to help me out by doing a few things
that I would normally do.

I made a promise to myself, long ago
that I would never leave my kiddos
alone in the car while I ran into a store.
I'll admit that it's a helicopter parent move
but one that I hold firm to.

This is a challenge in the summer.
Taking both of my kid in a store
for a few short minutes just seems tedious.

So, the other day we needed to pick up
Subway sandwiches for a picnic at the pool.
We were in a hurry, so I pulled
into the parking spot in front of the Subway,
gave Griffin some money,
told him our order,
and sent him inside to do the job.

He took in a deep breath as
he exited the car, saying the order
under his breath.
I watched him through the window.

After he had the sandwiches in hand,
he came barrelling out of the store
with his arms in the air in victory.
His face was flushed
and as he got in the car he let out a loud
"Woo hoo! I did it"

He got a little rush from
his new found independence.

He shouted
"That felt good! I was scared but I did it!"

So innocent.
So eager to take on more responsibility.

He then very seriously said,
"Hey, maybe I could park the car
for you when we get to the pool!"

Yes, I dare say that 9 is fine.






No comments: