Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Stay at Home Mom Chronicles : Playing in the Mud

My days around here seem to run together.
Ordinary moments unfold around me daily
and I need to stop and relish in them.

One day, my boys will be out living life
and I will miss these everyday experiences.

So, I am taking the time to document
the simple moments that pass between us.
I'm calling this little collection of memories...

Photobucket

Playing in the mud.


After a rainy day, when the sun finally comes out,
I know a little boy that can't resist playing in the mud.

There's no stopping him once he sees it.
He just can't keep himself from digging his hands in the goop.


I say, why stop him? 
So into the mud he goes.

He loves all the squishing, 
throwing, smearing, exploring.
He could do it for hours on end.
            
 How could a mama not let him
get out there and get dirty?


Clothes can be washed 
and so can grubby little fingers.

I just strip him down to his skivvies
on the front porch 
when he's done
and toss him into a warm soapy bath
in the middle of the afternoon.

Somehow the whole thing feels very indulgent.
I know that we'll both look
back on these dirty afternoons of exploring fondly.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

It's so important for kids to get out and be in nature...all the way in nature.

I'm glad you are a mom who lets that happen!

(And so is he, I'll bet...)

=)

Angelwithatwist said...

Yeah not one of my boys were ever like that. They were the ewwww mom mud on my hands kids.. I on the other hand love to get barefoot and play in it.. what does that say about me??