Tuesday, December 11, 2012

52 Weeks of Happiness :: Week 40

DSC_0005-5

We packed up the kids and headed out 
to buy our Christmas tree over the weekend

After last year's debacle when the boys decided to 
turn into hooligans while we selected our tree,
Roger and I lowered our standards significantly this year.

If no one screamed or got injured
then we were going to consider our trip a success.

DSC_0006-2

For the most part it was a much better experience.
 Other then the fact that Griffin
took it upon himself to karate chop
every tree that we encountered.

After a stern talking to and a pout or two,
we were out the door with our tree unscathed as a family.

Okay, maybe Koen threw a tiny fit
because he wanted a 12 foot tree
but it was a quick one that ended swiftly.

So far, so good.

DSC_0015-5

I have to say that one of my favorite parts
is always driving home with the tree on top of the car.

As a child, we always had a fake tree
because my mom had an allergy to pine.
Now, I had a very fulfilling and happy childhood
but I must admit that I always saw all
the cars driving around with Christmas trees on top
and felt a bit left out from the holiday cheer.

I love that feeling of completion
as we drive home with our tree on display above us.

It's the little things, people.

 DSC_0024-3

I also love unpacking all of our glittery ornaments.
It's like inviting old friends to come for a visit.

We marvel and celebrate each one
as we pull it out of the box.

DSC_0036-4

I really try to make decorating the tree
a magical experience for the kids.
 We play Christmas music and get in the spirit.

The boys always seem to get a little bit too excited.
They wrestled and clamored to and from the tree
like crazy little monkeys that just escaped the zoo.

That capture was a rare calm moment for them.
A second after I took this photo,
Griffin knocked Koen off his step stool,
then Koen kicked him in the shin,
then they both hopped up and raced to the boxes
and fought over an ornament.

It was awesome, let me tell you.

DSC_0059

In the end, we survived it all and the tree looked beautiful.
Honestly, I treasure ever single wild and crazy moment with these boys.

It may not be all sugarplums and lollipops around here
but I've learned to enjoy the wild rumpus of our Christmas decorating.

Photobucket



Want to join me in my quest
to scout out happiness for a whole year?
Simply post a photo of something that
makes you wildly happy and tell us all about it.
Then, steal my button and include it in your post.
Don't forget to link up to Mr. Linky.


8 comments:

4 Lettre Words said...

I have an allergy to pine, too. :( I make it up to my boys with MANY fake trees, tho. LOL

Yours turned out lovely, Leigh!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Your tree looks lovely. My kids are definitely not all sugarplums either but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Linda D. said...

Your adventure of the Christmas tree reminds me of classic wild rumpus kid moments in an old Doris Day movie, Please Don't Eat The Daisies" and another clsssic, the Best Christmas Pageant Ever! I think ur life could be a classic kid movie!

Pride In Photos Beauty said...

Making so many memories with your children...when you look back...there will be many laughs.
Laurie @ prideinphotos

Gina Kleinworth said...

Fabulous!!! We had a fake tree for so long, I really missed being able to go do this. We did finally ditch the fake one & went out in the snow & bout a real one. The house smells amazing & I am so happy.

Susan Anderson said...

Boys are fun, aren't they? Crazy fun, but fun nonetheless.

;)

PS. Merry Christmas to you all!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

We got a tree this weekend and we had the boys with us. I can completely relate to your post. We had the same kind of stuff going on with 6 and 8 year old boys!

Andrea said...

Your tree truly looks happy!