Thursday, March 15, 2012

When I feel like a mom.

Photobucket

There are moments in life when I really feel like a mother. Sure, it's all too easy to get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life and just go through the motions of being a mama. Yet, there are those tender moments when I find myself feeling a rush of blood to my heart and my accelerated heartbeat resounds in my ear over and over...

you're a mama, you're a mama, you're a mama!

For some reason, the other day, when I took Griffin on a special trip to buy a new pair of cleats for the upcoming soccer season, my heart swelled with happiness. We crossed the parking lot hand in hand and he had a hop to his step. He was was humming and swinging my hand. It was pure excitement and that was when I heard my heart start to beat...

you're a mama!

We walked into the sporting goods store and Griffin dropped my hand. Galloping over to the cleat section, he did a little dance in front of the shoe display. He looked so young and carefree, as if his life was easy. Such a simple moment really but I felt my heart drum louder...

you're a mama, you're a mama!

He tried on his shoes and did a test run around the store to make sure that they fit. His little feet scampered as he weaved in and out of the clothing racks and back to me. He slid on the ground as if he was kicking a pretend soccer ball into the goal. With his arms outstretched over his head, he celebrated his imaginary win and fell into me with a hug. I heard it louder...

you're a mama, you're a mama, you're a mama!

Later, at soccer practice, I sat on the grass and watched him kick the ball around. Although it was chilly out, my body felt warm. His pink chinks were grinning as he worked hard on the drills. Suddenly, I felt honored to live his life next to him, offering him chances to grow and live out sweet memories. It's so rewarding to watch his childhood unfold before my eyes and know that I am helping to create carefree moments for him to look back on one day. Sometimes I wonder if he can hear my heart beating just for him...

you're a mama, you're a mama, you're a mama!

8 comments:

Linda D. said...

Beautiful! I really liked " I felt honored to live his life next to him"....

Katherine said...

This is beautiful. I often tell my children how privileged I am to watch them grow up. Being a mother is a wonderful thing.

Susan Anderson said...

How well I remember...

A lovely post, Leigh.

=)

Unknown said...

Aww - I just love holding hands with my kids when they willingly hold mine back! Makes me feel so connected to them because we both are holding on. :)

GREAT post, Mama!

Leovi said...

Pretty picture, even the sons give us the opportunity to experience the most delicious feelings of life.

Andrea said...

I really think he can hear your heart. Beating for him!

UBERMOUTH said...

That's beautiful. I wish my own mother had've had your attitude.

Caroline said...

Beautiful, Leigh!! I loved this!

You are a GOOD Mama. One of the finest.